The Vocational College aims to ensure that all learning environments are supportive and that all individuals are treated with courtesy and respect and their contribution to the learning process is valued. We believe that all children, young people and vulnerable adults have the right to a safe and caring environment, which includes the right to protection from all types of abuse; children, young people and vulnerable adults have the right to expect people in positions of responsibility to do everything possible to foster these rights.
• takes a positive and proactive approach to creating an environment in which safeguarding children and vulnerable adults is a priority for all
• ensures staff are well trained and have good knowledge of Safeguarding and related issues
• has a zero tolerance towards any form of abuse, intimidation, bullying or discriminative behaviour
• works to agreed local policies and procedures in full partnership with other local agencies
• provides clear procedures around reporting concerns
• raises awareness with learners regarding safety and welfare issues, such as, radicalisation and child sexual exploitation
• ensures the safe recruitment of staff in line with legislation
‘Prevent’ is a Government strategy designed to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorist/extremist causes.
The Prevent Strategy covers all types of terrorism and extremism, including the extreme right wing and violent Islamist groups.
How does the prevent duty apply to The Vocational College?
All Colleges (as well as other organisations) have a duty to safeguard children and vulnerable adults from radicalisation and extremism. This means we have a responsibility to protect children and vulnerable adults from extremist and violent views in the same way as we protect them from drugs or gang violence. Importantly, we can provide a safe place for students to discuss these issues so they better understand how to protect themselves.
What can learners, parents and carers do?
• Be alert to any groups which target or use your community space for propaganda activities
• Watch for any people who raise funds destined for illegal activities
• Be aware that chatting to people you don’t know online is a common method used to radicalise young people and express extreme views
• Respect other people’s views and learn from other people’s opinions. Extremism comes in many forms, make sure your opinions are expressed appropriately and with respect for cultural differences
Meet our Safeguarding Team
The Vocational College’s Safeguarding Team is made up of five Safeguarding Officers and a Safeguarding Manager. The Safeguarding Team are highly skilled and expertly trained in responding to suspicions, disclosures or observation of abuse.
For more information regarding support or to confidentially contact the team click on the Sharp System logo below.